Friday, March 15, 2013

INSIGHT


Up to a lovely sunrise before the last day of our ArtHouse Week.  Gaining insights is one of the secrets to success in life.  See something others can't and it gives you an advantage.  Understanding the world around you better makes life more enjoyable.  This week has been full of insight.  Using different materials to represent what I see and giving thought to how colours, textures, tones fit together or fight each other has been a real education.  Spending a whole week on the process brings something new each day and gives a deeper appreciation of what there is to see if you keep looking deeper through an artists eye.  A big insight has been following emotion and feelings this week and pushing thoughts to one side.  This is frightening as the thoughts fight to get back in and warn you repeatedly of the dangers  ahead.  But as I let go of them I went to some interesting places and some pleasing effects emerged.  As ever coffee at La Glorieta this morning where we meet Julia having her morning coffee.


I work on Penelope today on my newsprint prepared canvas.  Julia stresses the importance of putting constraints to one side and letting the idea have its own pathway.  She repeats our lesson of first the foundation (structure/drawing), then information (tonal values) and finally effect (colour).  So here goes.
Foundation.....



Information.....



Effect.......



Karen continues with her scene and then while it dries goes in to effects of texture and paint.



Lunch at La Glorieta is a treat.  A homemade Fideau con pescado presented by Julia.



What an amazing week.  I think we will do it again and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to explore their artistic side.  Julia shows me I am exploring Fauvism and shows me some great examples.  I finish the afternoon preparing a canvas with collage for another representation of Penelope.  I will varnish over this collage and then go in with paint to develop an effect.  And then we will let the idea take its own path.  Great job Julia, wonderful week and thanks. xxxx



For anyone interested in working with Julia go check out her website and make contact.  I cannot recommend her highly enough. http://www.arthouseonline.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment