Wednesday, March 13, 2013

COMBINATIONS

Today we give thought to what combinations work.  Which colours combine in a pleasing way, what base should they go on, do we want movement in the brushstroke or to make it smooth and which brush should we use?  Should the paint be thick or thin.  I play with brushes on my iphone to try out colour combinations and decide on cadmium red, cadmium yellow and prussian blue.



We stop off at Bar Banesta for our morning coffee and planning session.  I decide to go for Antonio rather than Penelope.  A change overnight giving a bigger challenge.



Karen gets to work on her Spanish riverbed bringing in her stipling, textures and varnish.


I start with the turquoise primed canvas.  I have lots of fun building light layers with oil and turps to consider the effect.  I like it and Julia encourages me on.  On with the thicker paint and bringing movement in to the fragments.  It starts to feel good but I don't know when to stop.  Take out my iphone and add colours in via brushes app and see what might work and what will not.  Stand back, think and notice how it feels.  Stop.  That is about right for now.


Karen ends the day in the detention room (that is what we call the back room) and is happy with her palet knife developing some amazing effects.



Julia carries on teaching other students, keeping an eye on us and making helpful comments when we need a nudge.  I reflect more on the artistic process and how an artist might spend their life developing the insight they have stumbled upon in to the representation they want to show.  Each time saying next time I will get it right.  So close but next time yes.  I am already thinking about my work tomorrow on my newsprint covered canvas.  What other colours work, what other combinations can I bring together?

No comments:

Post a Comment